We are very pleased with the great interest in our new battery inverter Sunny Boy Storage. The inverter, which is compatible with high-voltage batteries such as the Tesla Powerwall, is perfectly suited to the consumption of self-generated solar power — even in the evening. Here, as promised, Product Manager Thomas Thierschmidt answers your most asked questions on availability, prices, scalability and much more.
1. Where can I find technical data, operating manual and certifications?
You will find installation and wiring instructions in the operating manual.
2. In which countries is the Sunny Boy Storage available?
The battery inverter has been available from wholesalers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland since the start of April. It is best to ask your chosen installer for the device directly. The Sunny Boy Storage will be available in Australia, Belgium and the UK in June and in Italy in August. More countries will follow over the course of the year.
3. How much does the device cost?
Please ask your wholesaler or a trusted installer for the price. Because of our three-step sales model, we unfortunately cannot help you here.
4. Can you receive the energy storage subsidy for the Sunny Boy Storage?
The Sunny Boy Storage meets the requirements for the energy storage subsidy. However, you would have to ask Tesla about the battery’s eligibility.
5. Are you planning for the system to be scalable?
Yes, an expansion for two Tesla Powerwalls with two Sunny Boy Storage battery inverters is planned.
6. Will there be Sunny Boy Storage versions with more capacity?
No, there is no plan for that. At 2.5 kW, the battery inverter has the optimum capacity for private households. It’s specifically designed for use with stationary storage systems in private households.
7. Are other high-voltage batteries planned besides the Tesla Powerwall?
Of course, we also want to be compatible with other high-voltage battery manufacturers. You can find out more about future partnerships at Intersolar. We will then also inform you via this blog.
8. Is it possible to charge electric cars like the Nissan Leaf?
The device cannot be used for electric cars, as different standards and protocols have to be applied to that field. However, you can integrate your electric car into the SMA Smart Home with the Sunny Home Manager and charging stations available on the market.
9. Is the Sunny Boy Smart Energy compatible with the Tesla Powerwall and the Sunny Boy Storage?
No, they are separate systems that cannot be combined. You can either choose the Sunny Boy Smart Energy with integrated battery or the Sunny Boy Storage for high-voltage batteries such as the Tesla Powerwall or a Sunny Island with low-voltage battery.
10. Will the zero export function relevant for Australia be available soon? And will it work with the Sunny Home Manager and the SMA battery inverters Sunny Boy Storage, Sunny Island and Sunny Boy Smart Energy?
This function is already implemented in the Sunny Boy Smart Energy, and the Sunny Boy Storage will also be able to control export at 0 percent. It even provides adjustable target values to guarantee minimum electricity purchase and grid feed-in. Together with the Sunny Home Manager, there will also be a zero export solution.
We have tried to answer the most frequently asked questions. Did we miss one of your questions? If so, write a comment.
Find more information on our product page.
Thomas Thierschmidt (guest author)
Thomas works as a product manager at SMA and is responsible for the Sunny Boy Storage.