As promised in our previous post, we will be covering the SMA PUK (Personal Unlocking Key) in today’s service tip. We explain how your devices can be unlocked to restore normal access to your system data.
Before we get started, take a moment to make sure that you have really lost your password
Before anything else, you should check to make sure that you really can’t find the password for accessing your systems in the Sunny Portal. In a previous article called “Service Tip: Pay Attention When Assigning Passwords in the Sunny Portal,” we mentioned a number of circumstances that could result in your password being changed or overwritten.
If you’re sure you have lost your password, use this form to request a PUK from our Service Line. The PUK code does not come with your inverter.
How it works
Once your request has been received and processed by our staff, you will be able to unlock your inverter and set a new password via Sunny Explorer.
Exception: PV systems with Webconnect
In this case, contact our Service Line staff by phone to avoid permanent data loss.
Entering your PUK in Sunny Explorer
1. Open Sunny Explorer.
2. In the “User group” field, select the “Installer” user group.
3. Enter your PUK into the “System password” field.
4. Select [Next].
☑ Sunny Explorer displays the inverters in the plant tree without padlock icon.
5. Change the inverter password:
– Select the inverter in the system tree.
– Select the “Settings” tab.
– Select the parameter group “User Rights > Access Control”.
– Select [Edit].
– Assign the password you want to the relevant user group.
6. To unlock additional inverters with a PUK:
– Select Options > “Change user group.”
7. Unlocking additional devices one after another with a PUK:
You will need to wait about five minutes between each device, since the passwords need to be sent to the system first.
After waiting five minutes, simply repeat the steps in step 5 in order to unlock the next device.
8. Final step: Set a general system password. This system password will be set as the installer password on all the individual devices and will guarantee access to the entire system so that all modules can be accessed at the same time.
Screenshots showing an overview of these steps
For more information on how to use Sunny Explorer, please refer to the User Manual: SUNNY EXPLORER System Monitoring.
We hope this post will make it easier for you to complete the steps required in order to unlock devices with your PUK. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to add a comment or contact our Service Line staff.
Creative mind in Service Marketing. Brochures, customer correspondence, and web texts come from my desk.
SMA service topics. For example insights into SMA customer service and service product management or tips for your daily work.
And I’m interested in hearing your opinion. What services can we offer you to provide you with even better support?
What even my colleagues don’t know about me:
I was the school high jump champion at a height of just 1.60 meters (5’2”).