In the future, SMA will equip all devices with WLAN and Ethernet communication–so called IP communication–by replacing the previous Bluetooth communication. Thus PV systems are extremely easy to integrate into existing home networks with an internet connection. Below we have provided information for you, including how you benefit.
1. What are the benefits of WLAN and Ethernet communication?
- Easy PV system monitoring thanks to integrated Webconnect function
The integrated Speedwire/Webconnect interface in all SMA inverters up to 12 kW is able to establish a link with Sunny Portal and Sunny Places via the PV system operator’s router. The PV system can thus go online without any additional costs for a data logger.
- Use of standard components
Optimization of PV system communication will make it possible to use standard components from electronics retail outlets (e.g., WLAN repeaters, WLAN/DLAN access points, WLAN wireless sockets, etc.). Not only will this help PV system operators save on system costs, but they can also extend their home network with components, such as a repeater.
- Flexible use thanks to Modbus as a third-party interface
With the factory-installed open Modbus TCP interface, data loggers from other providers can also be flexibly integrated. This allows operators to save even more money because an additional communication interface (e.g., RS485) is no longer necessary to connect to SMA systems.
2. What has to be considered when planning a PV system?
- The Sunny Boy 1.5/2.5 and 3.0/5.0 inverters are connected to the router using the integrated Webconnect interface via WLAN or Ethernet cable, which means that they are integrated into PV system monitoring.
- In the future, the Sunny Boy 3.0/5.0TL-21 and Sunny Tripower XY-20 models will have an Ethernet interface only and must therefore be connected to the router with wires.
The Sunny Home Manager 2.0 is connected to the router via the Ethernet cable. Compatible loads and WLAN SMA radio-controlled sockets can be integrated into the system using the router. Further information on Sunny Home Manager 2.0 can be found here.
3. How can I identify SMA inverters with Ethernet communication?
The Sunny Boy TL-21 and Sunny Tripower TL-20 inverters will no longer have Bluetooth communication capability. However, they will still be fitted with Ethernet communication.
These devices are easily identifiable by the “ETHERNET ONLY” written on both the inverter and box, and by the yellow label on the inverters, which ensures rapid identification and smooth processes.
Responsible for PR and Products concerning PV power plants and commercial PV plants.
Solutions, technologies, applications, and markets for small and large-scale PV plants.
What even my colleagues don’t know about me:
I knit my socks myself in winter.